Thursday, May 31, 2012

Wicked Cool Swimmer’s Summer Experience


Meet Paul Chang



Year: Rising Senior

Major: Chemistry

Favorite Events: The 100 and 200 Breast (Current School Record Holder)
as well as the 50 Free



Kevin: First and foremost, why did you choose Whitman College?

Paul: I decided to come to Whitman because the swimming program here seemed really close and personal. I also heard great things about the science program here.

Kevin: So where are you spending your summer?

Paul: I am spending my summer at Whitman doing research with my Chemistry major adviser Professor Juhasz.

Kevin: That sounds really cool! What are you researching?

Paul: I am doing research on carboranes, which are 11 boron-1 carbon closed cage clusters. These carboranes are really interesting because they are very similar to benzene, which is a common organic molecule in the biological world. Carboranes have tons of uses in industry and medicine. Because of this, research is being conducted on various techniques for synthesizing new carborane compounds. My research group in particular is trying to synthesize new species of carborane molecules.

Kevin: That is a really cool experience. What are you doing in your free time?

Paul: I am working a bit on my Korean and Spanish. I am also starting to prep for the MCAT (Medical School) test for next year.

Kevin: Sounds like a busy summer. One more question for you. What are you looking forward to most next year?

Paul: I'm looking forward to graduating and hopefully getting into medical school. I also am really excited about next swimming season. It's looking like it'll be a good year.