Thursday, June 28, 2012

Wicked Cool Summer Experience Part 3

Meet Erin


Year: Rising senior, class 2013
Major: Biology
Favorite Events: 1650, 500, 50 freestyle




Kevin: Why Whitman?


Erin: I chose Whitman after visiting the college with my cousin who graduated in 2009 and immediately loved it. The campus is beautiful and the science department is full of wonderful professors who are willing to work with each student to help them succeed.

Kevin: What does your summer look like?


Erin: I am spending my summer on the tiny island of Sanibel in southwest Florida working at the Sanibel Sea School (a small non-profit organization dedicated to educating young kids about the ocean and the biology associated with it) in addition to doing research.

Kevin: Sounds like a lot of fun! What are you researching?


Erin: My research is in plankton and artificial reefs. I am monitoring plankton communities between two locations to draw a correlation between plankton diversity and abundance and reef health. A new ship is being sunk as an artificial reef that may end up being a great research tool.

Kevin:  Sounds like a fun project. What else are you doing in Florida to keep busy?


Erin: I like to spend my free time exploring the beach and the Gulf of Mexico. My other job keeps me extra busy with kids and camp programs. On weekends I love to escape to nearby Bradenton and I hope to make it down to South Beach this summer.

Kevin: Sounds like a good way to spend the summer. What are your hopes moving forward with your research?


Erin: I am hoping that my research will get me somewhere and give me enough data to formulate a thesis. Maybe it will even save the ocean!